Take Action For Higher Education:
Dear OCA Chapters and Members,
Recently, Congress reauthorized the Higher Education Act and permanently established the Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institutions (AANAPISI) program, which, similar to other minority serving institutions programs, provides grants to colleges and universities that serve considerable numbers of low income students, particularly underserved Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPIs).
We are asking OCA chapters and members to do the following in order to gain support for this important issue in the House of Representatives.
1) CONTACT YOUR REPRESENTATIVE via the email webform on each representative’s website and use OCA’s template (Word document entitled ‘newcongressmantemplate’).
1. To find your House representative, please refer to: http://www.house.gov/
2. Copy and Paste the template letter into the webform - http://www.ocanational.org/images/stories/docscenter/newcongressmantemplate
3. Or call your representative’s Washington DC office
4. Let email@example.com know that you've done this!
2) CONTACT COLLEGES that are potentially eligible for the funding (.pdf file entitled 'Institutions’), and have them go through the process above and state their affiliation with the college.
Institutions - http://www.ocanational.org/images/stories/docscenter/institutions.pdf
We ask that you contact your Representative with the letters provided by Monday, March 30, 2009. The deadline for Representatives to sign-on is Tuesday, March 31, 2009.
Please submit to Douglas Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org any action you or your chapter conducts.
OCA National Center