FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Annie Lam
Office (916) 319-2049 Cell (916) 955-6766
April 8, 2009 PR#: COPA09-05
NEW REPORT SHOWS ASIAN AMERICANS AND PACIFIC ISLANDERS
HAVE UNIQUE HEALTH CONCERNS
SACRAMENTO, Calif – Assemblymember Mike Eng (D-Monterey Park) will unveil the “The State of Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander (AANHPI) Health in California” report on Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 10AM. The report was commissioned by Assemblymember Eng and the California Asian Pacific Islander Joint Legislative Caucus to provide a more accurate snapshot of the social context and health status of AANHPI with relation to other racial groups in California.
This report will provide information needed by primary and secondary care providers, for profit and non-profit organizations, school districts, the faith-based community, law enforcement, and state and local governments in order to provide effective health and mental health services to this emerging and diverse population.
Some of key findings detailed in the report are:
* AANHPIs are the only racial group for whom the leading cause of death is cancer.
* Asian American women have nearly double the rate of non-compliance with cervical
cancer screening guidelines as the overall state average.
* AANHPIs account for the largest proportion of all tuberculosis and chronic hepatitis B
cases in California, with the majority of cases among the foreign-born population.
* Samoan children have the largest percentage (54%) of all children in California whose body mass index (BMI) is not within the Healthy Fitness Zone.
* Koreans have the highest uninsured rate (33%) of any racial/ethnic group in the state –
far outpacing the state average of uninsured adults (15%).
WHAT: Release of “The State of Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander
Health in California” report.
WHO: Participants include: Asm. Mike Eng, University of California Asian
American and Pacific Islander Multi-Campus Research Program,
California Program on Access to Care, Kaiser Permanente, California
Program on Opportunity and Equality, & health care industry representatives
WHEN: Thursday, April 9, 2009 – 10AM
Online version of report will be available online at 1030AM
WHERE: Chinatown Service Center
767 N. Hill Street, Suite 400
Los Angeles, CA 90012
CONTACT: Annie Lam: Office (916) 319-2049, Cell (916) 955-6766