Asian Pacific American Legal Resource Center
Domestic Violence and Family Law Attorney – Maryland
The Asian Pacific American Legal Resource Center (APALRC) advances the legal and civil rights of Asian Americans in the DC metropolitan area through direct services, education, and advocacy. Within its direct legal services program, APALRC concentrates primarily in the areas of employment, housing, immigration, community development, domestic violence and family law.
APALRC seeks to hire a full-time attorney to provide legal representation to immigrant victims of domestic violence in Maryland. The attorney will focus on supporting and strengthening families through direct legal services and advocacy for broad-based systemic change.
· Provide Asian American victims of domestic violence with linguistically and culturally appropriate legal representation on family law matters and immigration issues;
· Ensure holistic services by working closely with local ethnic-based social service agencies;
· Conduct broader outreach to educate the Asian American community on their rights and resources available to them;
· Collaborate with community based organizations, non-profit organizations and government agencies to address the unique challenges faced by Asian American victims of domestic violence;
· Participate in meetings of the Maryland Network Against Domestic Violence; and
· Expand the availability of pro bono attorneys through collaborations with the South Asian Bar Association and the Asian Pacific American Bar Associations of D.C. and Maryland.
· 2-3 years of experience in the practice of law, with a demonstrated commitment to domestic violence issues and/or public interest law. Consideration may be given to recent law school graduates who demonstrate exceptional initiative and leadership abilities.
· License to practice in Maryland, or eligibility for special authorization to practice under Rule 15 and willingness to seek admission to practice in the State of Maryland.
· Fluency in an Asian language, preferably Mandarin, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi or Urdu.
Salary and Benefits:
The annual salary will range from the mid-$30’s to low-$40’s, depending on experience. Health, dental, life insurance and SMART benefits are provided.
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter detailing your interest in the position, along with a resume, law school transcript, brief writing sample (5-10 pages), and three professional references. Materials can be sent to Marita Etcubañez, Director of Legal Services, by mail or by email to email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis. No telephone inquiries, please.
APALRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.