SUMMER PROGRAM ASSISTANT COORDINATORS
VIETNAMESE FRIENDSHIP ASSOCIATION OF SEATTLE
Program Overview: The Summer Youth Program is an extension of the Educational Assistance for Student Empowerment (EASE) after-school program. After three successful years, VFA is now preparing for its fourth annual summer youth program. SYP is a program designed to build on students’ strengths to improve their academic and life potential. Youth will engage in academic enrichment, community service, field trips, and recreation. The 6-weeks program will be held three times per week Tuesday to Thursday from 1 to 5pm (with occasional fieldtrips outside those hours) at New Holly Learning Center, located at 7058 32nd Ave S., Seattle, WA, 98118. VFA aims to serve 20 students per level, for a total of 60 students enrolled in the program. These Vietnamese students will be primarily children from low-income families in the New Holly Neighborhood of Seattle, including many students who are residing in public housing.
We are looking for two Assistant Program Coordinators to work on the planning and implementation of this program.
Key Outcomes and Responsibilities
* Encourage students’ academic achievement and asset development through active learning
* Teaching/leading workshops on math, reading, writing, and science
* Design and implement asset-building components of the summer program including leadership workshops, encouraging students to explore and appreciate Vietnamese culture through hands-on educational activities.
* Plan and coordinate field trips
* Plan and coordinate community service projects
* Train and supervise high-school student volunteers
* Coordinate program logistics, such as snacks, attendance, etc.
* Ensure safety and well-being of all students
* Maintain a program environment that is conducive to learning
* Recommend appropriate educational protocols and procedures to increase program effectiveness
Essential Qualifications and Key Competencies:
* Has experience working with youth, especially low-income or newly arrivals.
* Is competent in middle school and high school math, reading, science, and other subjects
* Be open to Vietnamese traditions and values
* Excellent communication skills
* Is organized and highly flexible
* Can effectively work independently and as a team member
* Has reliable transportation or is proficient in using public transportation
* Able to safely lift up to 20 pounds (textbooks and supplies) on occasion
Terms of Employment: This is a 40-hour/week, 10-week summer internship position from 6/15/09 to 8/21/09, with training provided at the NAVASA conference May 13-16, 2009 in Washington DC.
· Upon completion of 400 hours of service ad 50 hours of training, interns will receive $1250 in education bonus that can be used for education purposes such as tuition or paying student loans.
* Gain skills in program planning, development, evaluation. Develop teaching and public presentation skills.
* Tap into the national network of Dan Than Americorps alumni
To Apply: Please fill out application http://navasa.org/danthan/index.shtml
Deadline: April 24th, 2009