Friday, February 6, 2009

Not a Tasty Cookie at All


Agh, I saw this pocky-gone-wrong-cookie-snack on Angryasianman's site. I just knew that ONE day, there will be some horribly misspelled/offensive snack. I love food, but this doesn't sit well with me. It's manufactured by Want Want China Holdings Limited.

For people wondering, gook is the offensive term and actually, Sen. McCain has used it to describe his enemies during the Vietnam War. So why is it offensive? Well, wikipedia has a WEAK definition of it (except for mentioning the g word is like the n word for African Americans) and even 'cited' an apology made by Sen. McCain by AsianWeek. Exactly, not the best reference. In any case, here's a way better definition of the word.

1. n. [1920s+] (orig. US military.) a derogatory term for foreigners, especially south-east Asians, e.g. (in chronological order of use) Filipinos, Japanese, Koreans, and Vietnamese.

If I can find a photo I took some time ago, I purchased a snack called "Crack Sandwiches" and had Asian American pop singer, Coco Lee on the packaging. And yes, it was tasty and no, there was no crack.

No comments:

Post a Comment